Sunday, December 29, 2013

Momo's Top 20 (H!P-ish) Songs of 2013!

Everything I put on my blog is purely my opinion. No offense is ever intended, and I do not ever claim my opinion to be any more "right" than anyone else's, so please return the favor and pay me the same respect. Thank you.


Yaaay 2014 is just around the corner, and I think it's time for one of those whole... uhm... I like it... kinda things :3. I was initially going to do top 10, but I like so many songs and wanted to include them allll ; 3;. So this is my top 20 H!P (well, 18 H!P + 2 not really H!P but close enough ;3) songs of 2013. Enjoy!

#20 DiaLady - Lady Mermaid
The first time I heard it, I really didn't like it much, but since then it's grown on me quite a bit. I wouldn't necessarily say I "love" it, but I do listen to it quite a bit compared to some of the other songs that came out this year. It's a nice song.

#19 S/mileage - Ee ka!?
Ee ka!? is probably one of the most creative songs to come out of H!P in a long time, when it comes to sound, but I feel like the pieces don't click entirely. The rap bits are amazing, the verses are amazing, the chorus is amazing, but they're all amazing in different ways that I don't think necessarily go together. So while I think the individual parts of the song are amazing, overall the song is just okay. But it's still good enough to make top 20.

#18 S/mileage - Atarashii Watashi ni Nare!
I honestly liked this song a lot more when it first came out, but since then I'm not sure if I've exhausted myself to it, or just so many good songs have come out this year that, in comparison, this is rather low. I like it more than Ee ka!? honestly, but it in itself isn't quite enough to make top 10 (or even 15). I still listen to it quite a bit, though.

#17 Morning Musume - Brainstorming
Okay, this one I know I burnt myself out to. Not to the point I hate it (obviously, it's in my top 20) but I don't find it nearly as impressive as when I first heard it. I do listen to it regularly, but it doesn't appeal to me as much as a lot of other songs do anymore.

#16 S/mileage - Shin * Nippon no Susume!
I honestly haven't heard any other songs from this album if I recall. The only reason I listened to this one was because a friend suggested it when I asked for something to translate. I couldn't translate it, since it's confusing as hell, but she did manage to get me to listen to the song, and I fell in love with it. It's a really fun song, and although I find it a little lacking in unique-ness, it has it's own charm to it.

#15 Berryz Koubou - Golden Chinatown
So, I know a lot of people didn't like the song, but I did. I think it's a fun and enjoyable listen, and lots of fun to sing along to. I have been to "Chinatown" in multiple places before, and just the sound of the song suits the name, I feel. So yeah. Haters gonna hate (b >.>)b

#14 S/mileage - Yattaruchan
Yattaruchan is a very fun, encouraging song, and I love singing along to it. Though, that's basically all it is to me. A lot of other songs interest me more, that's why it's so low. By the way, I know it may seem like S/mileage has a lot of songs, but mind you this is my 2nd favorite S/mileage song of they year, and my first barely makes the top 10, so yeah, there's a lot S/mileage that "managed" to make top 20 it seems xD.

#13 Morning Musume - Ai no Gundan
When I first saw the PV for Ai no Gundan, and heard the song, my jaw dropped. It impressed me on so many levels. Since then the song itself has kinda turned out to be a lot less impressive than I first thought, but still a really nice song to listen to once in a while. I love it, but moreso watching it then just listening to it.

#12 Juice=Juice - Samidare Bijo ga Samidareru
At first, I thought this song was good but couldn't compare to their amazing debut indies single. Since then, I've really grown to love this song, even more than their debut. It's a fun, energetic song with a great atmosphere to it, plus it's strong and passionate, and it's a song that's very fun to go all out when singing. Unfortunately, this is my favorite Juice=Juice song and it doesn't even make top 10 just for the year. JuJu seems to have turned into S/mileage for me. When S/mileage was announced, I was so excited, and when their aMa no Jaku came out I was extremely happy. However, from Yumemiru 15sai on, they stopped appealing to me, and the only songs that really interested me anymore were Suki-chan and Otona ni Narutte Muzukashii. Nothing else really peeked (and held) my interest again until Choto Mate Kudasai. JuJu seems to be the same way so far, at first I was excited, but now the only songs that I really like still are this one, and Watashi ga Iu Mae ni Dakishimenakya ne.

#11 Kikkawa Yuu - TO BE...
The first slow song on my top 20 list so far, and an amazing song. I used to just download all of the songs that would come out, and, unless someone pointed on out like with Shin Nippon, I would just end up never actually listening to them. This song happened to come on when I was too lazy to pull out my ipod and change the song, so I got to give it a listen. At the end I was like "Okay, I can tell it was Kikka by her voice, but what the heck was that song?" I fell in love with the song, it's so pretty, as expected out of Kikka. And before I get people commenting that "Kikkawa Yuu isn't H!P anymore" This is one of the songs I mentioned as "Not H!P but close enough" at the beginning, so yes, I realize this.

#10 S/mileage - "Ii Yatsu"
It seems like most people like Ee ka!? more from this single, but I absolutely love "Ii Yatsu". Besides the fact the I felt like S/mileage was reading out the situation I'm in to me upon first watching, it's a really pretty song with a really interesting and unique feel to it. Despite being such a sad(ish?) song, you can hear the girls, especially DAWA and Meimei, put so much feeling and passion into it. I absolutely love it <3. For now it's my favorite S/mileage song ever.

#9 C-ute - The*Treasure Box
The Treasure Box, My 3rd favorite C-ute song of the year, and my 2nd favorite b-side of the year. At first listen I wasn't too fond of it, but then I started imagining things for it (yeah, I tend to do that to make myself like songs a lot, I did that with Asian Celebration). With this song I imagined the girls going on a treasure hunt in their concert pirate outfits. It helped hold my attention long enough on the song to give it a good real listen. And it worked, because I fell in love with the damn thing. I had it on repeat for days after that, and though I don't listen quite THAT much, I still love the song.

#8 Hello!Project Kenshuusei - Oheso no Kuni Kara Konnichiwa
I love the H!P Kenshuusei. I feel bad that I don't know them better. I can only name a few of them, and a few more I can place one of their names (like Yamaki...something), but not their full name. And I don't know basically any of their voices. But it's not like H!P makes it easy for me and I'm just lazy and/or ignorant >.> So when this song was released on Hello!Station, I was so excited. AND ACTUAL SOLOS GUYS. AND A GOOD SONG. Kanojo ni Naritai I've only heard once, and the only part I remember is the "Kanojo ni Naritai..." part. It didn't really hold my attention well. But this. THIS. This masterpiece was on repeat for 3-4 days after it's release, and even now it's one of, probably, my top 5 "start with this song" songs when I listen to music (yes, this is a big thing for me.)

#7 Morning Musume - Wagamama Ki no Mama Ai no Joke
Okay, so the outfits aren't the best, but this song is amazing. I, as usual, wish that the lines were distributed a bit more evenly, but I honestly am satisfied with how the distribution sounds in this song, so I don't entirely mind it for once. The song is fun and upbeat and it's dance is amazing, I just love it and am so proud of what Morning Musume has become despite all of the losses they've dealt with in the past 4 years.

#6 C-ute - Adam & Eve no Dilemma
UGH. Just... Ugh. This song is just so amazing, I love it ; 3;. It's kinda strong, but in a gentle way. It's kinda powerful, but in a soft way. It's a really well-balanced song, I feel, and I enjoy listening to it very much. The only thing that would make this song better would be if Nakky and Maimi weren't brushed to the side so much >.> <3.

#5 HI-FIN - Kaigan Seisou Danshi
TOP 5, ARE YOU EXCITED YET? Although it didn't really stand out much to me when I first listened to it, it really grew on me. REALLY grew on me. The song is fun to listen to with creative overlapping-ish lines and amazing harmonies. I can't express how impressed I am with this song considering it has may absolute least favorite member for all 3 full groups who are represented by this group. But despite that, these girls sound amazing, both in the solos and the group lines, and the harmonies just work so well, and even the talking lines are perfect. I love it!

#4 Morning Musume - Watashi no Dekkai Hana
My favorite b-side of the year! This song is just too perfect. When Tsunku said he was writing a song to suit the abilities of each girl, he was very much accurate. With Ayumi's amazing rapping lines, Reina's line whore lines, and even Haruna's lines sound great they way she sings them, even though singing that way for just about any other song would piss me off. This song is just... probably the most thought filled song I can remember ever coming out of H!P. Even if it's not my favorite, I will stand by that claim.

#3 Jurin - Hotaru Matsuri no Hi
When it was first announced and previews were released, a lot of people were saying how it was "Just another Cabbage Hakusho" but I beg to differ. I feel like Hotaru Matsuri no Hi has a lot more feeling put into it, and although those who argue that "Masaki and Karin don't blend for shit" are right, I can't help but love this song anyway. It's a beautiful song, and I can just hear the emotion both of these girls put into it when they sing. And it's not in vain. The emotion in the vocals brings out the feeling of the song even more than the instrumental backing does. I'm so proud of these two, and even if they don't quite blend, they both shine in their own way.

#2 Tasaki Asahi - Tegami
The other "not really H!P" song. I just can't get over how much I love this song. With me, slow songs like this are very much "hit or miss". I'll either love them or I'll really not like them. But this song, UGH, this hit an all new high for love for a slow song. There's so much emotion in the song, and it's just so beautiful. None of Asa-chan's other songs have really stuck to me, but this one just won't get unstuck. And Asahi has an amazing voice, and it's just perfect for this song. I can't imagine liking this song nearly as much if anyone else I can think of sung it. The song is just perfect for her, and she's perfect for the song.

#1 C-ute - Namida mo Denai Kanashiku mo Nai Nanni mo Shitakunai
I've loved this song to death since the first time I heard it. Which is saying a lot for me with a Mai lead song. I really don't like Mai's voice, so for me to love a song which is at least 30% Mai solos just goes to show how amazing the song itself is. Just listening to the song makes my heart ache, it's a powerful enough song to move me before I even think about what it means. And then seeing what it means just pushes those feelings even farther. It's an amazing song and I'd definitely, hands down place it as my #1 for the year. 


So that was my top 20 songs of 2013. I hope you guys enjoyed reading my thoughts, and maybe even gave a listen to some of the songs if you haven't already heard them. I'm looking forward to another year of songs from Hello!Project. I think my biggest hope for next year is that I can put more Berryz songs into my top xx list. See you guys tomorrow, if I remember to do what I wanted to do tomorrow ;3 good night/morning/afternoon/whatever time it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment